Friday, April 18, 2008

the tipping point..

Well on monday I presented the chapter I read from the tipping point. This has been my favorite book we've read thus far. I really have enjoyed talking about it. It's a very interesting way to look at how to influence change in a positive direction.

I do believe that small things can make a big difference. Ironically the chapter I was given to read was my favorite. I do think that the whole smoking teen problem is more complex than the media tries to make it seem. It is true that cigarettes are seen as cool even by non smokers like me. It is also true I never really had any "cool" friends growing up who smoked and therefore was less likely to try it myself. In fact I didn't try cigarettes until I was well beyond legal age. It never really took and here I am a non smoker. Still I think that by trying them I have become a little more understanding of the appeal they hold.

The majority of teen smoker are just experimenting and wont continue into adulthood. Still a few of these teens will end up being smokers and here is where that gray area appears. Who will become a smoker? The book has a theory that only those who are more strongly affected by nicotine will end up being addicted. So people like me who dont really get any kind of buzz are not likely to make it a habit. Beyond just being affected by it, those affected have to exceed a daily amount that they tend to smoke. It also differs depending on the person. Some will push past this barrier and fall into the addicted smoker category. Surprisingly the process takes a few years. Once again here is another gray area that is hard to define. Only some will push past this area too.

No comments: