Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cosmopolitanism Chapters 5 and 6

Well I do admit I'm starting to come around a bit more on some of the author's ideas. I took some time to read and really think a lot about it. It has been a good source of discussion in my family.

However I feel that one fact is very over looked in the book. I remember it being mentioned in class. "Why haven't we stopped all war by now." I think this is an impossibility. People have been engaging in war for as long as we as humans have been keeping records. It sounds terrible to say, but I honestly believe that war is a part of being human. No matter how times change people at their core remain the same. We are flawed, selfish, and emotional. No amount of logic or education will erase that. Am I saying war is good or right? No not at all. I just think that it is something we all choose to fight. Not very many people on this earth would say war is good. Some believe it is a necessary evil. No matter how you look at it good or bad, it is a big part of our history as humans. We should always strive for an ideal, but saying there will be no more war is like saying there will be no more theft, arson, murder, jealousy, anger, etc.

also on spanking. My parents never really spanked me, but if I had been super rebellious they would have. I don't know if spanking is necessarily wrong, but I do agree it should be a last resort. Why should hitting be the first option? It really shouldn't and there are more peaceful ways you should at least try first.

No comments: